We're here to help
Telephone icon 01282 440583 *

Furnished Holiday Let FAQs

Smiling broker sits in her home after applying for a Marsden Furnished Holiday Let mortgage product on behalf of her client.

If you have a case in mind, but want to find out more, we’ve answered some frequently asked questions about our UK and Expat Furnished Holiday Let mortgages below.

Last updated 14 February 2024.

Our Furnished Holiday Let mortgages are available to your clients who wish to own a furnished holiday let in the UK.

We also offer Expat Furnished Holiday Let mortgages, which may be suitable if you have clients residing overseas looking for the same opportunity.

Whilst we will review bank statements to ensure applicants aren’t overcommitted, there is no personal affordability assessment. We base our decision to lend on an average of 30 weeks' rental income over a low/medium/high season.

If your client already has a Buy to Let/Furnished Holiday Let mortgage, it shouldn’t affect their application as long as they have less than 3 other mortgaged Buy to Let properties worldwide.

Please refer.

For a standard, UK Furnished Holiday Let application, the client (both clients if joint) will need to fit one of the following eligibility criteria:

  • UK Citizen;
  • Non-UK Citizen, providing they have lived in the UK for 2 years and have either permanent right to remain or a settled/pre-settled status in the UK.

For an Expat Furnished Holiday Let application, one applicant must be a UK Citizen as standard. In addition, this applicant will also have to contribute at least 50% of the total earnings in respect of the minimum income requirements. If there is a second applicant, or your client’s partner in this case, they may also be accepted providing they have a pre-settled/settled status or they have a permanent right to reside.

Please note, for non-UK citizens we will require proof of their permanent right to remain/residence certificate or settled/pre-settled status in the UK.

For rental stress test information please refer to our criteria page - 'Interest Coverage Ratio' under 'Income'.

Most types of residential properties are accepted but we do have a restriction on flats with a maximum LTV of 60% (we will not consider new build flats). You can find more details of acceptable and unacceptable properties on our Furnished Holiday Let criteria page.

No, we don’t credit score which works especially well for clients who have been abroad for several years and struggle to evidence credit history. Our underwriters will look at your client and use common sense to judge your client's profile.

We do not require a minimum EPC rating for our Furnished Holiday Let applications.

If you’d like to submit an Agreement in Principle and application on behalf of your client, we’ve covered the steps on our Apply page, so you know what to expect.

You can find our range of available products on our product portfolio, available to download on our Furnished Holiday Let product page.

We’ll lend up to 75% LTV (or up to £1,250,000) of the market price to those looking to purchase or remortgage their property on an interest only or repayment basis. We require a minimum loan size of £30,000.

Please note, there is a 60% LTV restriction on flats.

For further product details, please visit our Furnished Holiday Let product page.

A minimum 25% of the market value must be available as a deposit. Unfortunately, we don't accept gifted deposits on Furnished Holiday Let applications.

We require a minimum income requirement of £25,000 per Furnished Holiday Let mortgage application.

The minimum property value is £125,000 or product dependent.

Yes, remortgaging and additional borrowing is available. A list of acceptable reasons for additional borrowing can be found on our Furnished Holiday Let criteria page.

The minimum age for a Furnished Holiday Let mortgage is 21, while the maximum is 85 (at the end of the mortgage term).

You can download a copy of our documentation checklist from our Downloads page which lists all the requirements for Furnished Holiday Let mortgage applications.

Yes, if you’d like to check your client’s affordability for a Furnished Holiday Let mortgage, please use our Furnished Holiday Let affordability calculator which can be downloaded on our Affordability calculators page.

Yes, you can submit an application using Intermediary Online.

You’ll need to register to use the platform, but you’ll be able to create and edit applications, upload documentation and receive notifications at each stage of the process.

Yes, you can download our mortgage application forms on our Downloads page; however, if possible we would prefer you to submit your application online.

We can accept applications and supporting documents via email in the first instance at intermediaries@themarsden.co.uk but the original application form will need to be posted to our Principal Office address; Marsden Building Society, Principal Office, 6-20 Russell Street, Nelson, Lancashire BB9 7NJ.

No, there is no need to pre-register if you’re applying via paper application, we will use the information provided when you submit your first application with us.

If you want to submit your application online, you will need to register for our Intermediary Online service.

Service Agent Agreement (for expats only)

A Service Agent Agreement is a document that your client will need to complete and sign before an expat mortgage can be completed. This will confirm the name and address of somebody in England or Wales who will act as the Service Agent and who the Society can serve papers to should the borrower fall into arrears and possession proceedings need to commence.

If the Society commences possession proceedings against an expat borrower, the judge will need to ensure that the legal papers were served correctly should the case go to court. As the client resides outside of the UK, they could argue that the papers were not received and any hearing could be adjourned, leading to a delay in obtaining a warrant for possession.

If papers are delivered to a Service Agent acting on behalf of the borrower, courts will accept that papers have been served correctly.

Although there are companies specifically set up to act as Service Agents, we will accept any person known to the borrower residing in England or Wales.

A Service Agent Agreement only needs to be obtained once; it is the borrower’s responsibility to notify the Society if a Service Agent moves address, in which case a new Service Agent Agreement would need to be completed.

Your client will receive an offer which will contain the relevant condition along with the Service Agent Agreement form, which will need to be returned before the mortgage can complete.

The Service Agent Agreement form must be completed and returned by your client before the mortgage can complete.

Products icon


Tick list icon


Downloads icon


Contact us
Messages icon

Contact us

Watermark of a rose

Sign up to our

Sign up to our newsletter for the latest product updates and news from the Marsden. For more information about how we protect your data, please visit our Privacy page.